Pitching Yourself Confidently
A strong pitch is all about forging connections that stick in people’s minds. When we master the art of confidently presenting ourselves, a world of opportunities like landing great jobs and snagging promotions opens up.
Just think about it: 70% of job opportunities stem from networking, as per a recent study. This fact alone underscores just how crucial it is to have a pitch that can really pack a punch when it comes to our careers.
We need to be at ease with shining a spotlight on our true selves and the value we bring to the table. After all, we’re not just talking about showcasing what we do, but also who we are as individuals.
Our CEO and Founder, Jessica Chen, recently hosted a Soulcast Media | LIVE event on LinkedIn, where she hosted workshop about pitching yourself confidently.
She shared tips and personal stories about how to pitch yourself confidently.
1. Power Of The Pitch
Elevator pitches are not just a bunch of words strung together. They’re like the building blocks of our credibility. It’s how we catch people’s interest, hook them in, and leave them wanting more. It’s all about that initial spark that draws them in.
Consider the following:
- Builds Curiosity – Being smart about how we dish out our elevator pitch is like planting little seeds of curiosity. How we talk about ourselves is important here. We want folks to think, “Whoa, that’s intriguing! Tell me more!” It’s all about leaving them hungry for more of what we’ve got to share.
- Strong Impression – Ever noticed how a killer pitch can totally make heads turn? It’s like leaving a mark that sticks. So, imagine this: when your name pops up, bam! People instantly recall your superpower. They remember the awesome stuff you bring to the table, and that’s the kind of lasting impression we’re talking about.
- Shows Relevance – A top-notch elevator pitch isn’t just about showing off what you’re about. It’s like this bridge that connects what you know and do with what matters to the folks you’re chatting with. It’s like saying, “Hey, what I’ve got in my toolbox? It’s exactly what you need!” It’s all about making that instant connection and showing them how you’re the missing puzzle piece they’ve been looking for.
An elevator pitch done right can add power to your career game. We can take our professional journey to the next level with just a few well-chosen words.
2. Elements Of A Great Pitch
An elevator pitch is all about the feelings we leave with other folks. It’s like crafting this instant image of who we are. A killer elevator pitch has a way of making people curious. It’s like planting a little seed of interest that sprouts into this big tree of wanting to know more about us. The key is utilizing the right formula.
Elevator Pitch Formula:
- Teaser – The teaser of our elevator pitch is like the opening act of a really good show. The goal of our first few words should be to stir up positive emotions from the people we are talking to. We want to get them curious, like a cat chasing a laser pointer. This is the part where we set the hook, where we reel them in with the promise of something interesting about to unfold.
- Headline – Once we’ve got our audience’s attention with the teaser, it’s time to dig into the headline. Think of it as the main event, the juiciest part. Here’s the scoop: in this spotlight moment, we’re not going to be shy and really highlight one or two of our amazing achievements. It’s like showing off our badge of honor, waving it proudly. These are the moments that make people go, “Whoa, seriously? Impressive!” It’s all about letting our credibility shine like a supernova.
- Body – Now, as we dive into the meaty middle of our elevator pitch, it’s like we’re unraveling a story. Remember that teaser and headline we dropped earlier? Well, here’s where the magic really happens. We’re going to back up all that talk with some hard-hitting data and real-life examples. It’s like bringing out the receipts, showing them we’re not just all talk. This is where we make our pitch a solid reality check that leaves no doubt – we really do know our stuff, and we’ve got the proof to back it up.
- Takeaway – Now, let’s talk about the grand finale of our elevator pitch – the takeaway. It’s like putting the cherry on top of a sundae, that last little zap of excitement. So, picture this: we’ve laid out our awesomeness with the teaser, headline, and body. Now, we’re gonna drop a bombshell, something unexpected that’s gonna leave them wide-eyed. It’s like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. This surprise nugget is what makes them go, “Hold on, there’s more to this story!” It’s the cliffhanger that has them itching to find out what happens next.
The right formula can turn our elevator pitches into captivating tales that leave them craving more.
3. Proactive Communication
If we’re aiming for a memorable mark, we’ve got to get proactive with our communication. It usually takes folks around 5 to 7 rounds of seeing or hearing a message before it really sinks in. It’s like planting seeds that need a little watering to sprout. So, if we want our message to stick like glue, we’ve gotta be persistent, making sure it pops up in their world enough times to really stick in their minds.
Consider the following:
- Good News – Sharing good news is often a breeze compared to tackling tough stuff. It’s like the difference between sailing on a calm day versus navigating choppy waters. When it’s all rainbows and unicorns, a simple “I’m thrilled to share this” or a snappy “Quick update!” does the trick. It’s like sprinkling a touch of excitement that gets everyone on the same positive wavelength.
- Bad News – When it comes to delivering not-so-great news, it’s all about going the extra mile to keep everyone in the loop. It’s like rolling out a red carpet for your process. By sharing the nitty-gritty, you invite them to be a part of the journey. The last thing you want to do is hit them with a surprise slap of bad news out of the blue. That’s a recipe for disaster! So, instead, let’s make them feel like insiders by walking them through what’s happening. It’s all about building that bridge of understanding and softening the blow.
We’ve got to be on the lookout for chances to keep folks in the loop – it’s like a little mission we’re on. When we do this, it’s like we’re leaving our mark in their thoughts, like a bookmark they keep coming back to. Staying in the loop isn’t just about sharing info; it’s about making sure they remember us, think of us when things come up. It’s like that steady rhythm that keeps the dance going and ensures we’re always part of the conversation.
At the heart of a killer elevator pitch is the magic of people holding onto what we shared. They remember our words, they remember us, they remember the cool stuff we bring to the table, and they’re left thinking, “Man, that person is pretty darn incredible!” It’s like leaving a trail of glittering breadcrumbs that guide them back to us whenever they need something awesome.
Check out Jessica’s Youtube Channel to see the full LIVE version of Jessica’s conversation.
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways we can help you:
- Discover your communications style so you know where to start. Over 4,000 people have found theirs here.
- Attend our monthly communication workshop to build communications confidence (new topics: public speaking, advocating for yourself, building credibility, etc) here.
- Get your brand in front of 43k+ people by sponsoring our newsletter or Soulcast Media | LIVE LinkedIn events [contact: email@example.com]