Marketing Yourself For Success
Figuring out how to truly shine in front of our teams, can make a significant impact in our careers. The journey begins with something as simple as knowing how to present ourselves.
It’s mastering the art of self-promotion.
Having excellent marketing skills can totally set us apart. A recent article discussed how marketing skills can give us a competitive edge. It’s all about being able to highlight just how valuable we are to our bosses.
Our CEO and Founder, Jessica Chen, recently hosted a Soulcast Media | LIVE event on LinkedIn.
She shared tips and personal stories about how to market yourself for success.
It’s interesting how sometimes our own personalities can throw a curveball when it comes to showing off what we’ve achieved. We can get all tangled up in worrying about how others might see us. We need to give our mindset a little makeover. Let’s actively look for chances to break out of our comfort zone and show off a bit. It’s like giving our mindset a refreshing splash of confidence.
Consider the following:
- Reframe Thinking – We need to reframe how we think about self-promotion. What we used to do, well, let’s just call it the “old-school” method. But guess what? There’s a new way to do things, it’s all about being as proactive as possible. Instead of letting worry and fear drive us, we need to show up with confidence.
- Benefit The Team – When we’re chatting about what we do, it’s all about making sure we shine a light on how awesome we are for the team. We’re showcasing the real deal, the impact we’re making. Our managers want to know how we’re making things tick, how our efforts are really making waves. So, let’s not be shy about it – let’s be the storytellers of our own success because our team needs to hear all about the great work we’re doing.
- Build Visibility – When we’re talking about our work, let’s remember to sprinkle in all of the value we bring to the team. Picture this: we’re chatting with our colleagues, and we’re dropping those little golden nuggets about how our work is really shaking things up. This is how we build visibility, by doing great work and simultaneously talking about it.
Instead of shying away from talking ourselves up, we must change our mindset and embrace showcasing ourselves.
2. Executive Presence
Thinking about executive presence is like asking ourselves, “Hey, what’s the first thing that pops into people’s minds when they hear our names?” We’re not just bystanders in this story, we’re the authors. We get to craft the narrative about who we are and what we bring to the table. It’s like having the power to shape the perceptions others have about us.
Consider the following:
- How We Make Others Feel – Executive presence is all about the energy we’re putting out there and how we make others feel. It’s like this invisible force field that surrounds us and leaves an impression on people.
Think about it this way: when we walk into a room, it’s not just about what we say, it’s about the confidence we exude. It’s like this magnetic energy that draws people in, making them think, “Whoa, this person really knows their stuff!” So, whether it’s that air of confidence or that knack for understanding others, it’s all part of the executive presence package. It’s like a large set of traits that leaves a lasting impression wherever we go.
How We Communicate – The art of communication can really elevate our executive presence. It’s like this powerful tool we’ve got in our toolbox. Picture this: we’re in a conversation, and instead of just waiting for our turn to talk, we’re really diving in and actively listening. It’s like we’ve got this radar that’s tuned into every word, every nuance. People notice, and they’re like, “Whoa, this person is seriously dialed in.” And when it’s our turn to speak? We’re not just talking, we’re commanding the room. It’s like this magnetic force that draws everyone’s attention. People lean in, eager to catch every word because they know we’ve got something valuable to say.
- How We Carry Ourselves – Whether we like it or not, the way we dress and how we present ourselves, matters. Think about it this way: when we walk into a room, the first impression we give is how people will remember us. People’s eyes are naturally drawn to how well we’re groomed and the confidence we exude. Whether we’re rocking a sharp suit or going for that laid-back vibe, it all plays a role in our executive presence. It’s like this unspoken language that sends a message before we even utter a word.
When we talk about marketing ourselves for success, remember, it’s not just about the résumé or the skills (though those totally count too!). It’s about this whole package – the way we carry ourselves, the way we command a room, the way we leave people thinking, “Wow, I need to know more about this person!”
3. Communication Skills
Have you ever thought about how our words, the way we say things, and even how we move, all come together to showcase who we are? Our communication skills can elevate our self-promotion. And when we get it just right, it’s like we’re sending out this compelling message that says, “Hey, you gotta know more about me!” It’s like becoming the master storytellers of our own narrative.
Consider the following
- Tone Of Voice – Whether it’s excitement, curiosity, or just pure engagement, our tone of voice takes our communication to a whole new level. Think about it this way: if we’re stuck in monotone mode, the message might be there, but it’s not going to engage anyone. But here’s the trick – when we mix it up, when we add that variety to our tone, our message becomes much more interesting.
- Choice Of Words – When we’re sharing about our accomplishments, it’s not just about the facts – it’s about sprinkling in those words that make our managers’ ears perk up. Picture this: we’re recounting this amazing project we tackled, and instead of going with the ordinary, we use power words. We pull out words like “bold,” “exciting,” and “challenging.” Power words grab everyone’s attention so we can communicate our value in an exciting way.
- Body Language – Our body language speaks volumes and adds a whole new layer to how we communicate. When we’re sharing our thoughts and ideas, it’s not just about the words – it’s about the nonverbal cues that go hand in hand. Think about it: our face is like a canvas of emotions, our eyes like little messengers, and our posture? Well, that’s like our body’s way of shouting out its own story. When we’re making that killer point, our facial expressions are like the spotlight, highlighting the mood and vibe. Whether we’re raising an eyebrow in intrigue, holding someone’s gaze in empathy, or standing tall like a pillar of confidence, our body language is like the unsung hero of effective communication. It’s like adding this extra layer of meaning that goes beyond the words themselves.
Whether we’re giving a presentation or talking about our achievements, our communication skills are like the golden key to unlocking success.
At the end of the day, it’s not just about doing good work; it’s about making sure our team and our managers know about it.
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways we can help you:
- Discover your communications style so you know where to start. Over 4,000 people have found theirs here.
- Attend our monthly communication workshop to build communications confidence (new topics: public speaking, advocating for yourself, building credibility, etc) here.
- Get your brand in front of 43k+ people by sponsoring our newsletter or Soulcast Media | LIVE LinkedIn events [contact: email@example.com]