Mental Barriers that inhibit your communications
Perhaps you’ve just come out of your performance review and your boss asked that you speak up more during meetings. Or, you’ve been given a promotion (yay!) but with that promotion comes the requirement of giving more presentations in front of a large group.
Does either of these scenarios make you start to panic?
The good news is, you’re not alone.
Miscommunication or lack of communication is one of the biggest problems companies face.
The great news is that there are steps you can take to break through your communication mental barriers.
Wanting to be a better communicator takes effort and practice
You can’t click a button and become a better communicator, if that were the case, we would all be excellent at communications! The truth is that there are actual mental barriers that prevent us from having the ability to communicate effectively.
1. What Are Mental Barriers?
They are negative thoughts that stem from experiences we’ve had.
2. Identifying Mental Barriers
To begin identifying what your mental barriers are, think back to specific previous experiences you’ve had where it wasn’t so pleasant. Perhaps it was a presentation where you were criticized harshly. Or maybe someone said you sounded funny. These negative thoughts surrounding our communications can stay with us.
Were those criticisms valid? Now ask yourself – do you still want to hold onto them? That was then. This is now. People will not remember what blunder or stumble you previously might have had.
3. Using Mental Barriers to Help Not Hurt
We all have mental barriers. But those that succeed in confidently communicating do not hold onto those past bad experiences. If we let the negative thoughts linger, it will only hurt us.
Once you take the power away from those negative thoughts, it can no longer hurt you. That is how you can begin to break free from those negative cycles of thinking and reminding yourself today is not like yesterday.
It starts with these steps. You can improve!
Whenever you’re ready, there are 3 ways we can help you:
- Discover your communications style so you know where to start. Over 4,000 people have found theirs here.
- Attend our monthly communication workshop to build communications confidence (new topics: public speaking, advocating for yourself, building credibility, etc) here.
- Get your brand in front of 43k+ people by sponsoring our newsletter or Soulcast Media | LIVE LinkedIn events [contact: firstname.lastname@example.org]